Lefkosia, Lefkosia, Old town center
An ancient pedestrian and main shopping street of the city, which rests directly in the buffer zone between Greek and Turkish Nicosia. In the course of the 1974 conflict, the street was the site of bloody battles. The headquarters of the UN peacekeeping forces on the island are located on the same street. However, in 2008 the barricade at the border was dismantled and a border crossing was opened on Ledra. This became a symbol of a gradual reconciliation between the two parts of the island. But the nearby buildings still bear the bullet holes.
The commercial part of the street has shops of major international brands, as well as local shops with works of art and handicrafts.
The grandiose Venetian fortress of Nicosia is the largest medieval defensive structure in Cyprus. The 5-kilometer-long wall with 11 bastions was erected in 1567-1570 in the era of Venetian dominion over the island. Venetians rightly feared an attack of the mighty Turkish army. Using the money of the richest families of the city (their names remain on the towers), skilful Italian engineers erected the walls so that they could withstand a serious cannon bombardment. The fortress was surrounded by a deep moat with water.
However, the engineering triumph turned into a military fiasco: when the wall was almost finished, the Turkish army almost instantly took Nicosia. The captured fortress was treated with respect by the invaders, and it has reached our days in excellent condition. The Port of Juliana (the Famagusta Gate) is the most impressive structure of the fortress. There are parks, parking lots and a market on site.
Holy Archbishopric of Cyprus
Plateia Archiepiskopou Kyprianou, 4
Temenos Omerie mosque
Leoforos Mouseiou, 1
A.G Leventis, gallery
Anastasiou G. Leventi, 5
Plateia Archiepiskopou Kyprianou, 4a
Cyprus Classic Motorcycle Museum
Leventis Municipal Museum of Nicosia
Hamam Omerye, turkish bath house
Plateia Tillyrias, 8
A unique object in the center of old Nicosia: a functioning hamam built in 1571 after the Turkish conquest. The ruler Lala Mustafa Pasha built these baths as a gift to the city and dedicated them to the legendary Caliph Omar, a companion of Magomed. Hence the name—Hamam Omerier.
The hamam is a complex including a stone building with a traditional circular dome and several more rooms. Today this institution offers a whole list of options for visiting—from ordinary bathing to seclusion in one of the pools with a bottle of wine, as well as several types of traditional massage. Visitors praise the quality of service.